Please note this is 2013 info.
Check back soon for updates!
Join the C'roo!
WHAT’S THE C’ROO?
The C’roo (pronounced kroo͞ , or you know…crew) is the new name for the corps of volunteers at Bonnaroo!
WHAT DOES THE C’ROO DO?
They work all over the festival on various smaller C’roos to support the festival staff, fans, sponsors, and artists to ensure that everyone at Bonnaroo has an unforgettable, exciting, fun, and safe time. As a member of the C’roo, you could be doing anything from helping set up the festival site, to keeping a watchful eye on various entry points, to helping us maintain a green site, or even simply putting on a smile and greeting everyone as they come and go throughout the event. It’s all up to you and what your personal interests are!
WHAT DO I GET IF I JOIN THE C’ROO?
All members of the C’roo receive a free ticket to attend Bonnaroo whenever they’re not working, a t-shirt to show everyone that you are part of the C’roo, free showers*, a free meal for every shift that you work, and all sorts of other perks. Most importantly members of the C’roo get the sense of being a huge part of something special, the experience of working at a major music festival, and playing a big part in everyone’s great time! Not to mention memories that will last a lifetime.
Are you in college? As part of the C’roo you’re eligible to be nominated to take part in Well Dunn which helps provide mentorships, scholarships, internships, and job placement assistance to volunteers in the entertainment industry that show exceptional talent and drive as the leaders of tomorrow.
HOW DO I JOIN THE C’ROO?
Follow these 10 simple steps!
STEP 2. Fill out the C’roo application of your choice!
• Applications are available here.
• You must pay a $25 non-refundable application-processing fee in order to apply to join the C’roo.
• You’ll be able to choose from Festival C’roo or Clean Vibes C’roo applications. Do note that once you have filled out an application for one or the other, you will not be able to transfer your application over should you change your mind. You would have to fill out a new application and pay the processing fee again if you wish to change.
Festival C’roo Volunteers are working all over the festival site on various smaller C’roos.
• See Festival C’Roo descriptions here.
• You can choose to work:
• PRE-Show- Minimum work requirement of 24 hours spread in to four, 6-hour shifts. Must be able to come on site on Sunday, June 9th. All PRE-Show Volunteers will be done with their work requirements before the festival begins on Thursday. This is one of the most requested C’roo types so your best chances of securing one of these spots is to get your application and deposit in as early as possible
• During-Show- Minimum work requirement of 18 hours spread in to three, 6-hour shifts. Must be able to come on site on Tuesday, June 11th. Why so early? Because we want to make sure you get checked in and set up and working before we open the doors to the general public.
Clean Vibes C’roo Volunteers handle all aspects of Bonnaroo’s waste and recycling program and there are many volunteer opportunities both during and after the event.
• See Clean Vibes C’Roo descriptions here.
• You can choose to work:
• During-Show- Minimum work requirement of 18 hours spread in to three, 6-hour shifts. Must be able to come on site Tuesday, June 11th. Why so early? Because we want to make sure you get checked in and set up and working before we open the doors to the general public.
• POST-Show- Minimum work requirement of 20 hours spread in to two, 10-hour shifts. Must be able to stay on site through Wednesday, June 19th.
*IMPORTANT NOTE- Clean Vibes POST-Show C’roo volunteers do not receive all of the same perks as everyone else because they get to experience the entire festival without missing anything because of work requirements. Clean Vibes POST-Show C’roo volunteers will camp in general admission and they will gain access to the event when the gates open rather than early like the rest of the C’roo. They cannot arrive or camp with a pre or during show volunteer. Showers will not be available for POST-Show C’roo volunteers during the event but they will be available post event. POST-Show C’roo volunteers will also be provided with breakfast and lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday post event.
STEP 3. Pay your deposit!
• All Festival C’roo and Clean Vibes C’roo Volunteers must pay a $300 deposit in order to be considered for a position.
• Provided that you show up on time to all of your shifts, do the job that’s expected of you, and don’t break any rules, your full deposit will be refunded to you after the festival is over.
• All deposits must be paid by no later than May 17th, 2013
• Because Clean Vibes C’roo applications are divided into individual C’roo applications already, the deposit for them is due when you sign up.
• If something comes up and you have to cancel before May 17th you can get your deposit back minus a $25 cancellation fee. Any cancellations after May 17th will forfeit their full deposit.
• Note – the application deadline has been extended to June 11th for Clean Vibes!
STEP 4. Get assigned to your C’roo!
• This year all volunteers will be assigned to a specific C’roo. Meaning that if you get assigned to the Sponsorship C’roo for example, that’s the C’roo you’ll work on for all of your shifts.
• This will help build consistency for both you and the festival staff so that you’re trained on everything that they do and aren’t required to learn a new system every day.
• As part of the application, you’ll be able to notate which C’roos you are most interested in working on. While we can’t guarantee you’ll get your top choice, we will do our best to get you on a C’roo that fits your interests.
• You’ll be assigned to your specific C’roo within 72 hours of paying your deposit so be sure to get it in early for a better chance of joining the C’roo of your dreams!
STEP 5. Complete your C’roo training!
• We are working on an online training system so that you can be more prepared when you get to Bonnaroo.
• It will involve watching a few videos and answering some basic questions about what you saw.
• All C’roo volunteers will be required to complete the training before they can check-in on-site so be sure to get it done as soon as it gets sent out.
STEP 6. Get your C’roo schedule!
• This year we are planning to send out initial schedules two weeks prior to when you are required to be on site.
• This will allow you to know when you’re supposed to be working and give you an idea of what your free time at Bonnaroo will look like. What bands will you get to see? Which ones will you have to miss? All of that will be answered ahead of time so that if you have any issues, you can try and work it out.
• You will have the ability to swap shifts with other volunteers on your same C’roo for the two weeks leading up to being on site as well.
• Read that again…YOU WILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO SWAP SHIFTS WITH OTHER VOLUNTEERS ON YOUR SAME C’ROO! By giving you your schedules ahead of time, we hope that you’ll be able to resolve any conflicts before you get on site to check-in. Of course the other volunteer has to agree to the swap but our new system allows you to put it out there that you’re interested. If you can’t get anybody to switch with you, we can try to make a change but most likely you’ll have to work that shift.
STEP 7. Check in at Bonnaroo!!!
• All C’roo Volunteers check-in at an off site location. Information about times and where to check in will be sent to those C’roo members who have followed through with the whole application process and have been assigned to a C’roo.
• Once you’ve received your credentials at check-in you will be directed over to the site to the exclusive volunteer camping area. Only volunteers are allowed to camp in this spot so if you want to come with friends, convince them to join the C’roo with you! Remember that Clean Vibes POST-Show C’roo volunteers come on site at the same time as general admission and they also camp in general admission camping.
• Once on site you will not be able to leave so be sure to check, double check, and then check again that you have everything you need to make it through your time on site.
STEP 8. Work your shifts
• Be sure to check in 15 minutes early to each of your shifts.
• Check-in locations will vary depending on which C’roo you are assigned to.
• All C’roo members are expected to be on time, SOBER, and wearing appropriate clothing for their shift:
• Always wear your C’roo t-shirt when you’re working and be sure to wear something else when you’re not. We don’t want to confuse someone who’s supposed to be working with someone who isn’t.
• No open-toed shoes or sandals
• Think about the type of work that you’re going to be doing when deciding what to wear. Will it be possible in a dress? Skin-tight leather pants? A toga? Be smart and realistic about your decision.
• Be sure to bring sunscreen, a water bottle, and a snack but not too much more as we won’t have anywhere to store your stuff and some jobs may not allow you to have a backpack of any kind while you’re working.
• You’ll be taken from your check-in location by either a C’roo staff member or one of our volunteer leaders, known as GuRoos (more details on how to be a GuRoo here), to where you’re going to be working.
• Be sure to stay at your assigned location and task until you are either taken to another work place or have been dismissed by your GuRoo or someone from Staff. That’s the only way that you can be sure that it gets noted that you completed your shift. Meal tokens will be given out at the end of each shift.
STEP 9. Live the Bonnaroovian Code!
STEP 10. Wash, Rinse, Repeat Next Year!!!
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A GUROO?
To be a GuRoo means that you have the gift–the Roo Force is with you. YOU ARE SPECIAL. Basically, it means that you have the knowledge of the volunteer experience at Bonnaroo and are able to be a guide for the members of the C’roo. You are willing to help check them in, get them to their assigned work area, and work along side them as a role model for what every C’roo member should be making sure that they stay on task and do the job that is asked of them.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS OF A GUROO?
Aside from being an intellectual god among your peers, there are several other important things that are required of a GuRoo. First of all, you must put in a minimum requirement of 28 hours spread out through pre-show and during show. Next, you must arrive on site on Sunday June 9th. YOU MUST ARRIVE ON SITE ON SUNDAY JUNE 9TH. Other basic requirements include: must be a returning volunteer, must have leadership experience, and any other event planning or volunteer experience doesn’t hurt either.
WHAT ARE THE PERKS OF BEING A GUROO?
A lot of cool stuff. You get two meal tokens per shift to score some great food from any of the vendors. You’ll get a special GuRoo t-shirt PLUS the regular C’roo shirt. That’s pretty cool, right? Oh—and you have pit access at the What stage. So you’ve got that going for you….which is nice. We’re working on a few more perks too, but most importantly you get the chance to get a much more in depth, hands on learning experience about what it means and what it takes to put on an event like Bonnaroo.
HOW DO YOU APPLY TO BE A GUROO?
Remember, you must be a returning Bonnaroo volunteer (yes we have records from all of the years with WET). There will be a section on the C’roo application to mark that you would be interested. You will have to have submitted your C’roo application and paid your deposit before April 19th to be considered. There will be a secondary application and interview process. All GuRoos will be selected by May 17th.
Do I need a ticket?
No! Working your required shifts is your volunteer ticket. We do not refund tickets if you buy them before you find out if you have been confirmed into our program. We cannot refund tickets once purchased so please do not buy with the intention of exchanging it for a C’roo credential.
I already bought a ticket but I’d like to help out for a few hours, can I do that?
Sorry, but no. We need all of our volunteers to commit to working at least 18 hours.
How old to you have to be?
Minimum age requirement for the C’roo is 18 years old.
Can I work with my friends?
We will do everything we can to assign you with your friends however it may not be completely possible all of the time. The more flexible you all are with when you want to work, the easier it will be to get the same shifts on the same C’roo.
Can I camp with my friends?
Only C’roo members are allowed to camp in the volunteer camping area. So convince your friends to volunteer too and you can camp together all week! The only exception to this is Clean Vibes Post-Show C’roo volunteers who camp in GA camping.
When do I have to be on site?
It depends on which C’roo you sign up for. Pre-Show volunteers must be on site the Sunday before Bonnaroo and During-Show volunteers must be on site on Tuesday before. Post-Show Clean Vibes C’roo volunteers cannot come on site until it’s opened up for general admission.
Why do we have to be on site so early?
Because we want to make sure you get checked in and set up and working before we open the doors to the general public.
What perks are included for volunteers?
All members of the C’roo are guaranteed to receive a free ticket to attend Bonnaroo whenever they’re not working, a t-shirt to show everyone that you are part of the C’roo, free showers, and a free meal for every shift that you work. Clean Vibes Post Show C’roo volunteers will have slightly different perks, please see details on this position.
Can I do both Festival C’roo and Clean Vibes C’roo?
No! You must choose one or the other. Keep in mind that once you apply for one, you can’t transfer your application. You would have to apply and pay the application fee again if you wanted to switch.
Can I work on more than one C’roo?
Not really. We want to assign everyone to one specific C’roo so that you, the staff, and our fans get a sense of consistency with the people working everyday. The one exception to this is the Support C’roo, which fills in wherever necessary. If you like variety and are extremely flexible with what you could be doing, consider listing that as one of your Festival C’roo preferences.
Why do we have to pay a deposit?
The C’roo is an essential part of Bonnaroo. Without each and every volunteer, Bonnaroo isn’t possible. We need some level of assurance that you’re going to show up and do the job that you’ve agreed to do. While we’d love to trust everyone that signs up, there are unfortunately some people that try to take advantage of the system. We don’t want your money. We would much rather give it back to you and as long as you show up on time, stay on task, and don’t break any rules, you will get your money back.
How can I be sure to get on the C’roo that I want?
Some of the C’roos are very small and will fill up quickly. You will be assigned to your C’roo within 72 hours of paying your deposit. The easiest way to give yourself the best chance of getting on the C’roo of your dreams is to pay your deposit as soon as possible.
Do volunteers get to see the shows?
Yes. As a member of the C’roo you are welcome to do whatever you choose with your free time as long as you show up on time and ready to work when scheduled.
I am a registered Nurse or trained EMT, can I volunteer to work in the medical tents?
While a medical background is ALWAYS appreciated on site, the C’roo does not outfit the medical tents with any volunteers.
I’m a professional photographer, can I volunteer to shoot the festival?
The C’roo does not staff any photography positions.
I’m a registered yoga instructor, can I volunteer to teach classes at the festival?
The C’roo does not staff any of the yoga classes.
I have a technical and/or production background; can I volunteer with the Bonnaroo tech crews?
The C’roo does not staff any of the technical staff with volunteers.
I’m not sure I can handle any real physical labor, does that disqualify me from joining the C’roo?
Absolutely not! The C’roo is open to anyone and everyone. Just be sure to read the C’roo descriptions when they become available and choose a C’roo that you can physically handle. Some of our C’roos do require heavy lifting but it will be noted in the description. If you get on site and don’t think you can handle a specific job, speak up and we’ll find something else for you to do.
I’m a college student interested in the Event/Entertainment industry. What opportunities do I have to learn more about Bonnaroo and how it works?
First and foremost, volunteering at Bonnaroo gives you a great opportunity to learn the behind the scenes action at a major festival. You’ll be working directly with the staff and no matter what you’re doing, you never know who it is that you’re interacting with and what they could do for your career. The important thing is to always be on top of your game and act in professional, personable, and fun way no matter what the job is.
We also have opportunities exclusive to volunteers through Well Dunn. The mission of Well Dunn is to support the ambitions of inspired young professionals by providing mentorships, scholarships, internships, and job placement assistance to volunteers in the entertainment industry that show exceptional talent and drive as the leaders of tomorrow. For more info check out welldunn.org
What happened to WET?
WET is a great program and we truly appreciate all of the great work they have done over the past few years but we have decided to bring the volunteer program back in house so we can design a program unique to Bonnaroo. The goal of the C’roo program is to provide a true hands on learning experience because you are our future staff members and department heads. Additionally we have partnered with Well Dunn to extend this learning experience beyond the festival and into the music industry. If you have the passion, drive, and commitment, we want you to be rewarded with not just a free ticket but an opportunity to kick start your career.
Still have questions?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are still plenty of During-Show and POST-Show positions available with Clean Vibes. All other C’roo positions are now full.
We still haven’t filled all of our volunteer positions with Clean Vibes! We’re extending the deadline once again. Don’t miss out on your chance to volunteer at Bonnaroo! Apply between now and 7am EST on Tuesday, June 11th.