There are two ways to get involved as a volunteer at Bonnaroo 2019. You can volunteer through Clean Vibes or you can Join The C’roo!
WHAT IS THE C’ROO?
The C’roo (pronounced kroo, or you know…crew) is the name that we call our corps of volunteers at Bonnaroo!Learn More
HOW DO I JOIN?
10 simple steps to be a part of the team.Learn More
Join Clean Vibes as a volunteer and help spread the clean vibe at Bonnaroo! Clean Vibes is dedicated to educating fans about recycling and the importance of environmental stewardship.Learn More
No questions are stupid questions! Read up so you’re in the know.Learn More
Join us in creating and maintaining the magic that is Bonnaroo!Learn More
There are C’Roo’s dedicated to everything from information to visual design – check them all out here.Learn More
WHAT’S THE C’ROO?
The C’roo (pronounced kroo, or you know…crew) is the name that we call our corps of volunteers at Bonnaroo!
WHAT DOES THE C’ROO DO?
They work all over the festival on various smaller C’roos to support the festival staff, fans, sponsors, and artists to ensure that everyone at Bonnaroo has an unforgettable, exciting, fun, and safe time. As a member of the C’roo, you could be doing anything from helping set up the festival site, to keeping a watchful eye on various entry points, to helping us maintain a green site, or even simply putting on a smile and greeting everyone as they come and go throughout the event. It’s all up to you and what your personal interests are!
WHAT DO I GET IF I JOIN THE C’ROO?
All members of the C’roo receive access to Bonnaroo and may enjoy the festival whenever they’re not working. You’ll also get a t-shirt to show everyone that you are part of the C’roo, free showers, and a meal token for every shift that you work. Most importantly, members of the C’roo get the sense of being a huge part of something special — the experience of working at a major music festival, and playing a big part in everyone’s great time! (Not to mention memories that will last a lifetime.)
Are you in college? As part of the C’roo you’re eligible to be nominated to take part in the Well Dunn program, which helps provide mentorships, scholarships, internships, and job placement assistance to volunteers in the entertainment industry that show exceptional talent and drive as the leaders of tomorrow.
HOW DO I JOIN THE C’ROO?
FOLLOW THESE 10 SIMPLE STEPS!
Fill out the C’roo application!
YOU CAN CHOOSE TO WORK:
Confirm your application!
- We do not require a deposit or an application fee. To ensure that everyone is still committed to their position you will be asked at various points leading up to the festival to confirm online that you have received information and are still committed to showing up for your shifts. *Due to the nature of the work they perform, Clean Vibes has different requirements regarding hourly commitments and deposits. Check out cleanvibes.com for more general info on Clean Vibes.
Get assigned to your C’roo!
- All volunteers will be assigned to a specific C’roo. Meaning that if you get assigned to the Logistics & Set-Up C’roo, for example, that’s the C’roo you’ll work on for all of your shifts.
- This will help build consistency for both you and the festival staff so that you’re trained on everything that they do and aren’t required to learn a new system every day.
- As part of the application, you’ll be able to notate which C’roos you are most interested in working on. While we can’t guarantee you’ll get your top choice, we will do our best to get you on a C’roo that fits your interests.
- You’ll be assigned to your specific C’roo within 72 hours of confirming your application.
Complete your C’roo training!
- All C’roo volunteers are required to take part in a mandatory training which involves watching a few videos or reading a few emails and answering some basic questions about them.
- All C’roo volunteers will be required to complete the training before they can check-in on-site so be sure to get it done as soon as it gets sent out.
Get your C’roo schedule!
- Schedules will be released at least two weeks prior to when you are required to be on-site.
- This will allow you to know when you’re supposed to be working and give you an idea of what your free time at Bonnaroo will look like. What bands will you get to see? Which ones will you have to miss? All of that will be answered ahead of time so that if you have any issues, you can try and work it out.
- You will have the ability to swap shifts with other volunteers on your same C’roo leading up to the event.
- By giving you your schedules ahead of time, we hope that you’ll be able to resolve any conflicts before you get on site to check-in. If you can’t get anybody to pick up your undesired shifts, we can try to make a change but most likely you’ll have to work that shift.
Check in at Bonnaroo!!!
- All PRE-Show and During-Show Volunteers check-in at an off-site location. Information about times and where to check in will be sent to those C’roo members who have followed through with the whole application process and have been assigned to a C’roo.
- Once you’ve received your credentials at check-in you will be directed over to the site to the exclusive volunteer camping areas. Depending on which C’roo you get assigned to, you may camp in a different area of the site. If a C’roo has a different camping location beyond main C’roo camping, it will be notated in the C’roo description. Only volunteers are allowed to camp in these spots so if you want to come with friends, convince them to join the C’roo with you!
- Once-on site you will not be able to leave, so be sure to check, double check, and then check again that you have everything you need to make it through your time on-site.
Work your shifts!
- Be sure to check-in 15-20 minutes early to each of your shifts.
- Check-in locations will vary depending on which C’roo you are assigned to.
- All C’roo members are expected to be on time, SOBER, and wearing appropriate clothing for their shift:
- Always wear your C’roo t-shirt when you’re working and be sure to wear something else when you’re not. We don’t want to confuse someone who’s supposed to be working with someone who isn’t.
- No open-toed shoes or sandals.
- Think about the type of work that you’re going to be doing when deciding what to wear. Will it be possible in a dress? Skin-tight leather pants? A toga? Be smart and realistic about your decision. Showing up in inappropriate clothing or without proper shoes could result in forfeiture of your shift and access to the festival.
- Be sure to bring sunscreen, a water bottle, and a snack. Please note, we won’t have anywhere to store your stuff and some jobs may not allow you to have a backpack of any kind while you’re working.
- You’ll be taken from your check-in location by a Staff member to where you’re going to be working.
- Be sure to stay at your assigned location and task until you are either taken to another work place or have been dismissed by someone from Staff. That’s the only way that you can be sure that it gets noted that you completed your shift.
- Meal tokens that can be used at any of the vendors in Centeroo will be given out at the end of each shift.
Live the Bonnaroovian Code!
Wash, Rinse, Repeat Next Year!!!
“Respect The Farm” and join Clean Vibes as a volunteer and help spread the clean vibe at Bonnaroo! Clean Vibes (cleanvibes.com) is dedicated to educating fans about recycling, compost, and the importance of environmental stewardship.
In 2018, with the help of their amazing team of volunteers, they diverted over 600,000 pounds of festival waste from the landfill. Clean Vibes believes that every person can make a difference and they rely on dedicated volunteers who are interested in inspiring other Bonnaroovians to “Stay True to Roo.”
Learn more about Clean Vibes’ volunteer program here.
DO I NEED A TICKET?
No! Working your required shifts is your volunteer ticket. We do not refund tickets if you buy them before you find out if you have been confirmed into our program. We cannot refund tickets once purchased so please do not buy with the intention of exchanging it for a C’roo credential. C’roo credentials are provided to access the Festival for your volunteer shifts.
I ALREADY BOUGHT A TICKET BUT I’D LIKE TO HELP OUT FOR A FEW HOURS, CAN I DO THAT?
Sorry but no. We need all of our volunteers to commit to working at least 18 hours.
HOW OLD DO YOU HAVE TO BE?
Minimum age requirement for the C’roo is 18 years old.
WHAT IF I’M NOT FROM THE UNITED STATES, CAN I STILL VOLUNTEER?
Yes! You’ll want to check with your country’s specific laws on travel to the US but we’d love to have you.
IF I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION, HOW LIKELY IS IT THAT I’LL BE CHOSEN?
Unless you’ve volunteered in the past and done something wrong, you can pretty much guarantee that your application will be accepted. We will check in with you multiple times down the road, so be sure to confirm you are still volunteering each time it is asked of you.
CAN I WORK WITH MY FRIENDS?
We will do everything we can to assign you with your friends however it may not be completely possible all of the time. The more flexible you all are with when you want to work and what C’roo you are assigned to, the easier it will be to get the same shifts on the same C’roo. It also helps if you all fill out your application at the same time because some C’roos will fill faster than others and we may not have enough room for all of you if one person got in before everyone else.
CAN I CAMP WITH MY FRIENDS?
Only C’roo members are allowed to camp in the volunteer camping areas. So convince your friends to volunteer too and you can camp together all week! If you decide to volunteer and have friends staying in GA, you will be able to move your stuff and camp with them once the Tollbooths are open to the public and your friends are set up. You cannot move your car though and your stuff has to fit within your friends’ assigned campsite.
WHEN DO I HAVE TO BE ON SITE?
It depends on which C’roo you sign up for. Pre-Show volunteers must be on site the Sunday before Bonnaroo and During-Show volunteers must be on site on Tuesday before.
WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE ON SITE SO EARLY?
Because we want to make sure you get checked in and set up and working before we open the doors to the general public.
WHAT PERKS ARE INCLUDED FOR VOLUNTEERS?
All members of the C’roo are permitted access to Bonnaroo and may enjoy the Festival whenever they’re not working, a t-shirt to show everyone that you are part of the C’roo, free showers, and a free meal token which can be redeemed at any of the vendors in Centeroo for every shift that you work.
CAN I DO BOTH FESTIVAL C’ROO AND CLEAN VIBES?
No! You must choose one or the other. Keep in mind that once you apply for one, you can’t transfer your application. Please note that Clean Vibes now operates separately from The C’roo and has their own requirements regarding hourly commitments and deposits. For more information on Clean Vibes, head here.
AS A C’ROO MEMBER, DO I HAVE TO PURCHASE A CAR CAMPING PASS OR A DAY PARKING PASS?
No! PRE-Show and During-Show C’roo members who drive a car to the site will be given a parking pass when they arrive to our onsite check-in.
DO VOLUNTEERS GET TO SEE THE SHOWS?
Yes. As a member of the C’roo you are welcome to do whatever you choose with your free time as long as you show up on time and ready to work when scheduled. Being a volunteer though does mean that you may have to sacrifice some of your viewing time to do the job that you signed up for.
CAN I WORK ON MORE THAN ONE C’ROO?
Not really. We want to assign everyone to one specific C’roo so that you, the staff, and our fans get a sense of consistency with the people working every day. The one exception to this is the Support C’roo, which fills in wherever necessary. If you like variety and are extremely flexible with what you could be doing, consider listing that as one of your Festival C’roo preferences.
DO WE REALLY NOT HAVE TO PAY A DEPOSIT OR APPLICATION FEE?
Nope! You will be asked several times after applying to confirm your participation to make sure that we know you’re still coming. Anyone who breaks a rule, misses a shift, or acts in a way unbecoming of a Bonnaroo C’roo member will lose their shifts, their access to the festival, and their ability to volunteer in the future. *Please note that Clean Vibes now operates separately from The C’roo and has their own requirements regarding hourly commitments and deposits. Please head here for information on Clean Vibes.
HOW CAN I BE SURE TO GET ON THE C’ROO THAT I WANT?
Some of the C’roos are very small and will fill up quickly. You will be assigned to your C’roo within 72 hours of confirming your application. The easiest way to give yourself the best chance of getting on the C’roo of your dreams is to fill out your application as soon as possible.
I AM A REGISTERED NURSE OR TRAINED EMT, CAN I VOLUNTEER TO WORK IN THE MEDICAL TENTS?
While a medical background is ALWAYS appreciated on site, the C’roo does not outfit the medical tents with any volunteers.
I HAVE A TECHNICAL AND/OR PRODUCTION BACKGROUND; CAN I VOLUNTEER WITH THE BONNAROO TECH CREWS?
The C’roo does not staff any of the technical staff with volunteers.
I’M NOT SURE I CAN HANDLE ANY REAL PHYSICAL LABOR, DOES THAT DISQUALIFY ME FROM JOINING THE C’ROO?
Absolutely not! The C’roo is open to anyone and everyone. Just be sure to read the C’roo descriptions when they become available and choose a C’roo that you can physically handle. Some of our C’roos do require heavy lifting but it will be noted in the description. If you get on site and don’t think you can handle a specific job, speak up and we’ll find something else for you to do.
I’M A COLLEGE STUDENT INTERESTED IN THE EVENT/ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY. WHAT OPPORTUNITIES DO I HAVE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT BONNAROO AND HOW IT WORKS?
First and foremost, volunteering at Bonnaroo gives you a great opportunity to learn the behind the scenes action at a major festival. You’ll be working directly with the staff and no matter what you’re doing, you never know who it is that you’re interacting with and what they could do for your career. The important thing is to always be on top of your game and act in professional, personable, and fun way no matter what the job is.
We also have opportunities exclusive to volunteers through Well Dunn. The mission of Well Dunn is to support the ambitions of inspired young professionals by providing mentorships, scholarships, internships, and job placement assistance to volunteers in the entertainment industry that show exceptional talent and drive as the leaders of tomorrow. For more info check out welldunn.org.
SOME C’ROOS OFFER SHIFTS TO BOTH PRE-SHOW AND DURING-SHOW C’ROO MEMBERS. BE SURE TO READ THROUGH EACH DESCRIPTION AND WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE BEFORE FILLING OUT YOUR C’ROO APPLICATION.
CATERING & HOSPITALITY
Helps run the hospitality operations for multiple catering locations including staff and artists. C’roo members could be doing anything from working in the catering office to helping stock and maintain the different catering areas to providing customer service for the various clients, artists, and staff that have access to these locations. Could require heavy lifting and strong customer service skills are a must. Catering and Hospitality are big business in the events world and this would be a great C’roo for anyone interested in breaking into it. (Only available DURING-Show)*This C’roo may require overnight shifts
Helps with set up and management of various fan interaction activities throughout the festival site. This is the ideal C’roo for someone with an extremely outgoing personality that radiates tons of positivity. There are a lot of different things that fans can participate in and working on this C’roo will give you a varied experience in what it takes to plan, set up, and operate the special and unique experiences at Bonnaroo (Only available DURING-Show)
*This C’roo may require overnight shifts
Provides information to festival attendees and helps maintain all of the various Plaza areas in the campgrounds. Also runs the main information booth in Centeroo. Experience and knowledge of Bonnaroo is a huge plus because this C’roo is on the front lines as the face of the people who planned it all. (Only available DURING-Show)
*Members of this C’roo who are assigned to specific plazas will camp within the Plazas that they are assigned to instead of the main C’roo camping area.
*This C’roo may require overnight shifts
LOGISTICS AND SET-UP
Assists with various projects around the festival from setting up work and event areas to helping with the operational and production sides of the festival site. Could require heavy lifting. The experience you could have on this C’roo will be all over the place, literally. Every department at Bonnaroo will be utilizing this C’roo in some form or another to make the event happen. (Available PRE-Show and DURING-Show). *This C’roo may require overnight shifts
Acts as a fill-in C’roo wherever additional help and support is needed. Excellent opportunity for those who are willing to take on anything and are looking for variety in the work that they do each day. Could require heavy lifting. (Available PRE-Show and DURING-Show)
TOLL BOOTHS WEST/HIGHWAY
Staffs the west and highway entrances to the festival and helps guide festival attendees from the entrance to their camping location. This is your chance to be on the front lines and watch the crowds roll in. They are the gate keepers to the entire Bonnaroo experience. (Only available DURING-Show)
*This C’roo may require overnight shifts
*This C’roo will camp in a different location closer to the West entrance of the campground.
TOLL BOOTHS EAST/VIP
Same job as the West/Highway Toll Booth C’roo but at the East and VIP entrances to the festival.
*This C’roo may require overnight shifts
*This C’roo will camp in the main C’roo camping area
VISUAL DESIGN AND DÉCOR
Assists the visual design team on site with setting up and prepping different visual elements of the festival. Art, painting, carpentry, or building skills a plus. Could require heavy lifting. This is a great opportunity to help create the visual elements at Bonnaroo which are some of the most unique things about the entire event. (Only available PRE-Show)
CROO POSITIONS ARE FULL, BUT THERE ARE STILL POSITIONS AVAILABLE WITH CLEAN VIBES
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL MAY 11TH, 2019 OR UNTIL ALL POSITIONS ARE FULL, WHATEVER COMES FIRST.
Remember that you must choose one or the other (The C’roo or Clean Vibes). You will not be able to transfer your application if you sign up for one and decide later you want to switch. Please note that Clean Vibes operates separately from The C’roo and has their own requirements regarding hourly commitments and deposits.
Apply with Clean Vibes (during show)
Apply with Clean Vibes (post show)